Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tie Dye with Permanent Markers


I need to stay off the computer because every time I see something new...I'm like, "I need to try that!!"

So, I saw this idea of using permanent markers to tie dye...I didn't think it would really work but decided to give it a try. I made these for a friend who was having a baby boy. I think this would be a fun craft with my kids...

It's super easy.

You will need the following:
permanent bold tip markers
white garment (socks, t-shirts, bandana)
rubber bands
rubbing alcohol (in spray bottle)

Loop rubber bands tightly around your socks or t-shirt - bunch up the sections and rubber band about every inch.
Scribble with marker to make large areas of color around the areas of the rubber band. Limit your colors to two or three - too many colors get muddy.
Lightly spray the garment with rubbing alcohol. Set aside for 20 minutes. This will blend the colors to get a tie dye look.
To set the colors with heat, iron the garment or tumble in a hot dryer. Wash separately in cold water and tumble dry.

Not too bad for my first try - I think I would make sure that I had I colored more on the garment so there was less white..but still turned out OK...I think it was really cute with the frog blanket and I also gave her a pair of denim shorts to complete the outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment