Monday, September 27, 2010

Chance's Birthday Party


Chance wanted to have a karate birthday party. Luckily, we were able to do it at the place where he takes karate. They sell these sparring sticks for $15 each...and of course you know that I was like.."I can make that for less." And that's what I did....

Here's what you will need:
swimming noodle
old golf club or PVC pipe with cap
E-6000 glue
1/2 yard of black material
7-10 inches of flame material (I got mine at Walmart)

Step 1: Cut the swimming noodle into 18" lengths. I used my big butcher knife and it worked great!
Step 2: I found old golf clubs at a thrift store for $1 each and then my DH cut them down to size with a reciprocating saw. In the future, I would probably use the PVC with the cap. I think the PVC fits into the swimming noodle center hole better...we had to wrap the golf clubs with duct tape so there was no slop inside. Cut the golf club or PVC pipe to 24" length.
Step 3:As I found out, there are at least 2 different sizes of swimming noodles. Some have a smaller circumference than others. So, be sure to measure the circumference of your swimming noodles and then add 1" for seam allowance. Cut a piece of black material 18" long x "the circumference.
Step 4: Cut 7" x "circumference" of the flame material.
Step 5: Place black material and flam material right sides together along the circumference (shorter) edge. Sew.
Step 6: Lay sewn pieces flat and fold in half lengthwise with right sides together. Sew across the top of black material and down the entire open side. Turn right side out.
Step 7: Push the PVC or golf club into the hole of the swimming noodles using E-6000 glue.
Step 8: Slide the sewn slipcover over the swimming noodle and tuck the edges into the hole of the swimming noodle - securing with E-6000 glue. Allow 24 hours to dry.
Step 9: If using PVC pipe, you will probably want to wrap the end with tape or you can leave it white. I have seen it done both ways.
Step 10: Let the kids beat on each other! :)

Chance's karate class actually plays this game. It is used to teach the kids to make quick fast movements opposed to full big swings that the opponent and read and prepare for. Anyway, my total cost for the sparring sticks were probably about $2 each and they only took about 2 hours to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment